Make Your Relocation Easier
Let's face it; moving day is no picnic! Packing and moving is never easy, whether you're moving to the other side of town or across the country. Use this essential checklist to help make your move to Charles Town, WV as seamless and stress-free as possible!
Before You Move
Don't wait until the last minute! Start packing and planning as soon as possible to alleviate some of the stress.
Organize and declutter
Start one room at a time and begin to organize and declutter. Set aside anything that can be donated, sold, or thrown away. The less stuff you have, the less you'll have to pack!
Lighten the load
Host a yard sale to get rid of any unwanted clothing, furniture, or decor. You can also consider donating any shoes or clothing that are in good condition.
Change your address
It usually takes a few weeks for the post office to process your change of address and start forwarding your mail, so request it at least two weeks before the move.
Handy Packing Tips
- Reinforce: Use sturdy, reinforced boxes. And don't be afraid to get friendly with bubble wrap and other packing material for fragile items.
- Innovate: Pack dishes, bowls, plates, and other glass objects vertically, rather than flat and stacked. For extra padding, pack glasses and stemware inside socks.
- Pack small: Pack heavier items in smaller boxes so they're easier to carry.
- Prevent leaks: Remove the tops and cover the openings of soaps, shampoos, and lotions with cling wrap, then twist the caps back on. You can also use cling wrap around dresser drawers or jewelry displays to keep them intact, or around furniture to prevent scratches.
- Prepare: Create an "Open Me First" box containing personal items that you will need immediately, such as toilet paper, soap, instant coffee, tools and box cutters, and paper dishes. Make sure it's one of the first things off the moving truck.
- Label, label, label! There's nothing worse than trying to unpack a disorganized mess! Make the transition to your new home seamless by carefully organizing and labeling boxes by room so you'll know just where to put them in your new house. (Even better - color code!)
On Moving Day
It's not just the packing that's overwhelming - moving day itself can be very stressful if you're not prepared. Here are some tips for a low-stress moving day.
Keep important info
Don't pack your most important essentials and emergency prep items - like first aid supplies, medication, financial records, medical records, IDs, and other important documentation or high-value items. Always keep them with you.
Take an overnight bag
If you make it home before the moving truck, make sure you're prepared with things like a change of clothes, your toiletries, and a phone charger.
Have phone numbers handy
Keep your moving foreman's content information with you in case you need to contact your movers for any reason. It's also handy to have your Bill of Loading and shipment registration number with you.
After You Move
It's much easier to deep-clean your bathrooms and kitchen before they're loaded down with all your stuff (or before you're too tired to clean!). Clean first, unpack second.
Unpack by room
Make the seemingly endless process smaller by breaking it down into several smaller projects, and do them in order of importance.
Enjoy your new home
Don't forget to smile... Your new life in your new place just began. Welcome home.
Partner with a Team of Native REALTORS®
Choosing your Shepherdstown real estate agent team is the most important decision you will make when selling a home. Your home is likely the largest investment you have — don't entrust its sale to just any real estate agent. Only a team of experienced local professionals will help you sell quickly and for top dollar.
Kable Team Realty has served the needs of homeowners in WV's Eastern Panhandle for many years. Not only are we real estate experts, we're local residents; in fact, we're all natives of Jefferson and Berkeley Counties. When you work with us, we will guide you through every aspect of your transaction and work tirelessly to achieve your goals. Discover what our past clients have to say about working with us.
Still Have Questions or Ready to Buy a Home in Charles Town, WV?
If you're ready to find the perfect home in Charles Town, WV or you have any questions about buying a home or real estate in Charles Town, WV, then it's time to contact Tracy Kable with KableTeam Realty. We're your local guide to all things Charles Town, WV and we're more than happy to help! Want to learn more about buying a home in Charles Town, WV? We've got plenty of resources to help you out!